Very Small Quantity Generators Disposal Program

Properly disposing of hazardous waste can be costly and inconvenient. Fortunately, small business owners in Imperial County have a cost-effective and environmentally sound option to meet their hazardous waste recycling and disposal needs. IVRMA offers the VSQG program for all small businesses.

Let us help you do the right thing at a small cost!

Common Hazardous Waste Accepted

  • Mercury-containing products such as Fluorescent Lamps, Thermometers, and Batteries.

  • Propane Tanks, Helium Tanks, and Aerosol Cans.

  • Automotive Fluids including Motor Oil, Lubricants, Oil Filters, and Antifreeze.

  • Landscaping Chemicals including Pesticides, Herbicides, Fungicides, and Fertilizers.

  • Latex and Oil-Based Paint as well as Paint-Related Materials such as Stains, Varnishes, Roofing Tar, Adhesives, Joint Compounds, and other Petroleum-Based Products.

  • Acids, Bases, Oxidizers, and Swimming Pool Chemicals.

  • Solvents, Flammable Solids and Liquids, and Detergents.

If your business qualifies as a Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG), you can participate in our program. To qualify, you must generate less than 220 lbs., or 27 gallons, of hazardous waste per month, or less than 2.2 lbs. of extremely Hazardous Waste per month.

We also accept other types of waste at our facilities from businesses; click here.

​How to Participate

Step 1: Determine if you Qualify

The business must qualify as a Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) as defined in the California Health and Safety Code, Section 25218.1, and Code of Federal Regulations 40, Section 261.5. According to the code, you must generate less than 220 lbs., or 27 gallons, of hazardous waste per month, or less than 2.2 lbs. of extremely Hazardous Waste per month.

Non-profits, landlords, apartment managers, and businesses that generate hazardous waste are considered small businesses and are not exempt from disposal fees.

Step 2: Obtain a California E.P.A.  I.D. Number

All participants transporting Hazardous Waste in the Small Business Program MUST HAVE an EPA Identification Number.  Call the California Environmental Protection Agency (CAL EPA)  at 1-800-618-6942 to apply for either a temporary or permanent number.  In the majority of cases, EPA ID numbers can be assigned over the phone. 

You can also go to the following Department of Toxic Substance Control (DTSC) website to apply online FREE

Step 3: Submit an Inventory Sheet

After printing and filling out this VSQG drop-off inventory sheet, please verify what is acceptable at our facility (flyer pdf). When the inventory sheet is completed, please email the form to or if you have questions, please call our office at (760) 337-4537.

Step 4: Schedule an Appointment

Once we receive your VSQG inventory sheet, we will contact you to create an account for you if this is the first time, and if the inventory sheet is approved with all acceptable items, we will schedule you an appointment. Pricing varies and is dependent​ on material type, container type, and size.  Please call (760) 337-4537 for inquiries about pricing.

On your scheduled appointment date and time, you will need to go to our El Centro HHW facility to drop it off.

Only items that are on the approved inventory sheet will be accepted. If you need to modify the inventory sheet before your scheduled appointment, please call our office at (760) 337-4537.

Drop-off Location

EL Centro HHW Facility


By appointment only on Mondays or Fridays, 8:00 AM–3:00 PM.